If you suspect a loved one is receiving improper treatment or care in a nursing facility or assisted living facility, there are steps and actions you can and should take.
- Know your loved ones rights – Right’s of residents should be provided at time of admission for nursing facilities, assisted living facilities and adult homes.
- Visit frequently – Vary your visits to different times of the day and evening to assess the care provided during all times of the day, night, weekends and holidays.
- Join the residences Family Councils – The main purpose for having family councils is to protect and improve the quality of life in the home and with the long-term care system as a whole.
- Talk about your concerns –Make the residences Director of Nurses, Social Worker, Doctor & Administrator aware of your concerns.
- Know the signs of Abuse
Physical Abuse – can include unreasonable physical restraint, deprivation of food and water, giving too much medication, or not enough medication, unexplained injuries, forcing an older person to stay in a room
Neglect- lack of care for existing medical problems, disregard for activities of daily living, bed sores
Verbal/Emotional Abuse– Humiliating, insulting or threatening, or ignoring behavior toward family and friends.
To learn more about abuse call the NY State Office of Children and Family Services at 518-473-7793 or visit www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/psa or visit The National Center on Elder Abuse’s website at www.ncea.aoa.gov
- Call your local ombudsman
Nassau County: Margaret Hromada- 516-466-9718 firstname.lastname@example.org
Suffolk County: Joan Burke -631-427-3700 x273 Jburke@fsl-li.org
New York State- Mark Miller –800-342-9871 email@example.com
- File a Complaint with the State Licensing and Certification-
For Nursing Homes – The New York State Department of Quality and Surveillance of Nursing Homes is responsible for investigating complaints and incidents for Nursing Homes in New York State. The hotline can be called 24 hours per day.
Telephone number- 1-888-201-4563
Adult Care Facilities -The hotline is available 24 hours a day,